I realized something about myself today as I was driving home from work. The freeway was madness, I was so stressed out. It took forever for me to merge in, and then the lane I was in came to a dead stand still. I kept letting all of these other cars in front of me, and then they would proceed to cut into the next lane--the lane I needed to get into but was too scared of cutting someone off.
In this moment, I had a thought; "You, ma'am, need to be more aggressive." So I took the next opportunity I had to get into the lane, realizing that my concerns about cutting someone off were superfluous since everyone was moving so slowly anyway.
I am not an aggressive person. I don't like confrontation, I don't like ruffling feathers or hurting someone's feelings. I don't like making things uncomfortable for other people. So instead, I tend to become a doormat--I get walked all over sometimes.
"You, ma'am, need to be more aggressive."
My mom calls it "passive assertive". I think I don't want to be a doormat.
No comments:
Post a Comment