Wednesday, May 30, 2012

you're the best in all the west!

I want to give a shout out to my amazing, newly graduated-from-high-school sister, Cammie.

Dear Cammie,
You are amazing.
I am so proud of all that you have accomplished. I know that it hasn't always been easy, but you have done so much in your high school career. I am so glad that you were able to find your niche, and that you didn't feel any sort of need to follow in my footsteps. You were (and are) your own person and I love the person that you are!
You are so dang funny. There is no one else on this earth who can make me laugh like you can. Your humor is so unique and hilarious. I love it so much.
You are so driven when it comes to things that you are interested in and want to do. You have your plan and you are sticking to it, but you were flexible enough to change your plans when you knew God wanted you to. I admire your faith so much.
I love you so much little sister. As each year goes by, we become more and more on equal ground which I'm trying to remember and accept. You aren't so much my little sister anymore.

And now, I want to give you some advice as you graduate and go off on your own.

You might feel the need to use your new freedom to do crazy things like stay out until 4 in the morning, have random summer flings and sit in your bed doing nothing for days at a time. I did that. And I know you and know that you might go through that stage too. But Cam, there is nothing as rewarding as being the master of yourself. I know it sounds weird, but seriously, when you can be the one to decide to go to bed at an early time so you can stay awake in class, or when you choose to eat those vegetables instead of going out to Wendy's, it is such a satisfying feeling. It's time for you to take charge of your life, and you will be happier if you choose to act instead of be acted upon. It took me a long time to realize that.

Make your spiritual growth your number one priority. You thought that you had things pulling on your time when you were in high school, just wait my dear. It is so easy to let spiritual matters fall by the wayside, but if you do that, then everything is going to feel wrong and your life will get so out of balance. I can promise you from personal experience that if you fill your life with those important, good things like reading your scriptures EVERY DAY, praying morning and night, going to the temple every week, partaking of the sacrament with the right spirit, going to ALL of your church meetings AND activities, going to institute, then everything else is going to fall into place. Your grades will be better. Your social life will be more fulfilling, and you will have the Spirit to guide, direct, and protect you.

Don't be a hermit. The first two weeks I moved to Provo, I watched How I Met Your Mother every single day after work. And then the second I finished that show and started going outside of my apartment, BAM. I got a boyfriend. ;) But seriously, go out. Do stuff. Even when you don't want to. You will almost always regret not going to something, but you will almost never regret going to something you don't want to go to. (unless it's one of those drinking parties, you can avoid those like the plague).


Even though you are going to be farther away from us, don't forget that you have a family that loves you and supports you. Feel free to call us whenever. Mom and Dad are always happy to hear from you, and you know that I will love to talk and be there for you when you need. You have a support system forever and we love you so much.

Take care of yourself okay? I promise you, the late late nights, junk food and caffeine are not worth it. Invest in your body and you will be richly paid off. Eat fruits and veggies. Drink lots of water. Get out and exercise, even if you are just walking every day with Erin, or swimming or hiking. Get a good amount of sleep.

Wow, I just realized how long this is getting. But Cammie, I love you so much. I want you to be happy and have a positive experience. And whenever I try to give you advice you always stop listening. So maybe having stuff written down will help it stick in your brain a little bit. ;) So please reference this advice if you need it, and if you ever want to, you know you can call me any time. I love you baby girl!

Love,
Amberly

2 comments:

Mandy Hixson said...

that's a sweet letter to your sister :)

The Hurst Family said...

All I will say to this post Cammie is AMEN. Your sister gets it. I know you will too. You're going to love college. I love you.
Mom